Saturday 16 October 2010

Stitching a book


Some time ago I took lessons in bookbinding. The books we made were bound the traditional way with glue. One day we did a workshop in bookbinding without adhesives and we had to weave the front and back of the book to make a strong cover. We used 'Zaans bord', a paper made in an antique windmill, the Zaansche molen. This windmill makes the paper out of textiles and the colors are a bit mat.

I got hold of a plain copy of a cooking book with all kinds of recipes with mushrooms. This book has some lovely illustrations and I would like to give it to my mom.
It is called 'Zwammen smullen' (Mushrooms feast).

It is already some time ago I did this workshop and the instructions handed out are not very clear.  I struggled a bit and made some mistakes but I know my mom will not mind.

When I finished the cover, I thought it could use something extra.
The sewing machine was still on the table, so I added some stitching to the front. This is not going to show on the inside as the cover is double folded.

Hmm, I think I will order another copy of this book and make another cover with a better matching design. But for a start this one will do (can do-lah!). Hilde

2 comments:

  1. Wat leuk, Hilde. Wil ik ook kunnen!
    Ik vind dat je moeder nu wel wat moet ruilen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! You really are a woman of many talents! Have a nice Sunday. Love Vreni xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by! I love to hear your comments!